Ah, chocolate nougat. Just saying the words brings a warm smile to my face. I’ve been head over heels for Nougat since I was a little kid.
From its unique texture to its delicious taste, something about it has always drawn me in.
And chances are, you want to learn more about it too.
That’s why you’re here.
So I’ll stop rambling, and let’s get right into it!
What Is Chocolate Nougat?
Chocolate nougat is a chewy, dense sweet confectionary made from sugar, honey, roasted nuts, whipped egg whites, and chocolate. It is a variation of regular nougat, which doesn’t usually contain any chocolate.
In essence, chocolate nougat is a delectable, chocolate-infused version of the traditional nougat, offering a unique and delightful taste experience for all who indulge in it.
The Key Ingredients
Now that we have some background information let’s dive into the key ingredients that make chocolate nougat so special.
- Sugar and honey: The main sweeteners in chocolate nougat are sugar and honey, which give it its distinctive taste and texture. Honey also plays a crucial role in binding the other ingredients together.
- Egg whites: Whipped egg whites give nougat light and airy texture. They’re beaten until they form stiff peaks and are then folded into the mixture.
- Nuts: Roasted nuts like almonds, hazelnuts, or pistachios provide the nougat a delicious crunch and nutty flavor.
- Chocolate: The star of the show is, of course, chocolate. Typically, high-quality dark chocolate is melted and mixed in, giving the nougat its distinctive chocolatey taste.
There are of course variations to the above. For instance, vegan nougat omits some of the above ingredients for obvious reasons!
What Are the Other Types of Nougat?
The other main types of nougat include white nougat, brown nougat, and several more!
While chocolate nougat holds a special place in my heart, it’s worth mentioning that there are other types of nougat out there, each with its own unique qualities.
- White nougat: Also known as “Torrone” in Italy, this is the most traditional form of nougat. It is made with sugar, honey, egg whites, and roasted nuts without the addition of chocolate. It has a light, airy texture and a delightful sweetness.
- Brown nougat: This nougat variation, sometimes called “Nougatine,” is made with caramelized sugar, giving it a deep brown color and a rich, toffee-like flavor. It is usually harder and crunchier than white nougat.
- Viennese nougat: Also known as “Gianduja” or “Hazelnut Praline,” this type of nougat is made with a blend of chocolate and hazelnut paste, resulting in a smooth, creamy texture. It is often used as a filling in chocolates or pastries.
- Fruit nougat: This variation includes dried or candied fruits, such as cherries, cranberries, or apricots, in addition to nuts. The fruit adds a delightful pop of color and flavor, making it a popular choice during the holiday season.
- Soft nougat: This type of nougat has a more tender and chewy texture compared to other varieties, making it perfect for those who prefer a less crunchy treat. It is often made with glucose syrup to achieve this texture.
Brands of Chocolate Nougat
There are various brands of chocolate nougat on the market, with the most widely known including Mars, Milky Way, and Snickers.
These nougat candy bars are often coated in milk chocolate and include ingredients that typically include peanuts and caramel.
Mars is a nougat candy bar that has stood the test of time, thanks to its delicious combination of ingredients that create a delightful taste sensation.
The base of Mars consists of a fluffy, mellow nougat that has a subtle sweetness and a soft, tender texture.
The nougat is then topped with a layer of rich, gooey caramel, adding decadence and chewiness to the candy bar.
To finish it off, Mars is coated in a layer of velvety milk chocolate, resulting in a harmonious blend of flavors and textures that keeps you reaching for more.
Mars bars are perfect for those who appreciate a simple yet gratifying nougat treat.
Milky Way is another popular nougat candy bar that’s been a staple in candy aisles around the world.
The secret to Milky Way’s success lies in the combination of ingredients that make up its delightful layers.
At the heart of Milky Way is a light and fluffy nougat, which has a delicate, melt-in-your-mouth texture and a gentle hint of malt flavor.
This airy nougat is then topped with a luscious layer of golden caramel, adding a touch of sweetness and chewiness to the candy bar.
Finally, the entire creation is enrobed in a silky milk chocolate coating, resulting in a delightful balance of flavors and textures that makes Milky Way an all-time favorite among nougat lovers.
Snickers is a quintessential nougat candy bar that has been loved by many for generations.
What sets Snickers apart from other nougat candies is the combination of ingredients that make up its delicious layers.
The base of Snickers consists of a soft, chewy nougat infused with a hint of caramel flavor.
This nougat layer is topped with a generous amount of whole roasted peanuts, adding a delightful crunch and nuttiness to every bite.
To complete this masterpiece, Snickers is coated in a layer of smooth, rich milk chocolate, creating a delectable blend of tastes and textures that is truly irresistible.
How To Make Chocolate Nougat
Now I’ve told you what it is, and given you some pre-made options, it’s time to tell you how to make it so you can really enjoy it!
And you won’t just enjoy eating it once it’s done.
Making chocolate nougat at home can be a rewarding and fun experience. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make your very own chocolate nougat:
- Prep the ingredients: Start by roasting your choice of nuts and preparing a pan lined with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate: In a double boiler, melt the high-quality dark chocolate and set it aside.
- Make the sugar syrup: In a saucepan, heat sugar, honey, and water until it reaches a temperature of 250°F (120°C) using a candy thermometer.
- Whip the egg whites: While the sugar syrup is cooking, beat the egg whites in a stand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Combine the syrup and egg whites: Carefully pour the hot sugar syrup into the whipped egg whites while continuously mixing.
- Fold in the chocolate and nuts: After thickening the mixture, fold in the melted chocolate and roasted nuts.
- Pour and set: Transfer the nougat mixture to the prepared pan, spreading it out evenly. Allow it to set at room temperature for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Cut and enjoy: Once the nougat has set, remove it from the pan and peel away the parchment paper. Cut it into squares or rectangles with a sharp knife, and voilà! You have your very own homemade chocolate nougat.
How Do You Store Chocolate Nougat?
Chocolate nougat is best stored when wrapped individually in an airtight container while stored at room temperature.
Proper storage is essential for keeping your chocolate nougat fresh and delicious. Follow these simple steps to ensure it stays in tip-top shape:
- Wrap it up: Wrap individual pieces of nougat in wax paper or plastic wrap to prevent them from sticking together.
- Airtight container: Place the wrapped nougat pieces in an airtight container, separating layers with parchment paper if needed.
- Keep it cool: Store the container in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. While you don’t necessarily need to refrigerate chocolate nougat, keeping it away from heat and humidity is essential.
- Avoid strong odors: Chocolate nougat can absorb flavors and odors from other foods, so make sure to store it away from pungent items.
If stored correctly, homemade chocolate nougat can last for up to two weeks, although I doubt it’ll stick around that long once you’ve had a taste!
So there you have it – a comprehensive guide to the world of chocolate nougat.
Whether you’re a seasoned nougat connoisseur like me or just discovering this delightful confection for the first time; I hope this article has given you a deeper appreciation for this nougat variation and giving you some of the best brands to buy, or a perhaps even inspired you to try making your own chocolate nougat at home. Enjoy!
Related articles you may want to read:
Hello, I’m Matthew, a candy expert and enthusiast with over a decade of experience in the candy industry. My passion for candy started at a very young age. Since then, I have worked in numerous, large candy stores, and have been fortunate enough to try out hundreds of brands of candies, different types and flavors. In addition to my work, I enjoy sharing my extensive knowledge with others, and decided to create Sugar Stand in order to do so. My mission is to make the world a sweeter place, one candy at a time.