Are you interested in making your own cotton candy? Do you want to invest in a machine to make the process much more efficient, and let’s be honest, enjoyable? Well you’ll need to know much to save and then what you are going to need to invest. Having researched the market extensively, and compared various different suppliers, here are all the financial considerations you are going to need to be aware of.
So, how much do cotton candy machines cost? The average countertop cotton candy machine costs between $34.99-$100. However, cotton candy machines with carts will typically cost between $100-$400. Premium professional cotton candy machines can cost upward of $1000.
Ultimately, how much it costs depends on the quality and the complexity of the machine.
And for the most part, the more you pay the better the machine.
Within reason, of course.
And just because a machine is more expensive does not necessarily mean it is always better than a cheaper alternative.
This is where research into each particular brand and model is key!
Nevertheless, let us continue to explore the costs of each machine in further detail before delving into the other costs you’ll need to consider, too.
Cost of Cotton Candy Machines
Lower price machines can cost as little as $34.99.
These machines are typically unbranded, or produced in china and sold under unrecognizable brand names.
These machines are often countertop in nature, and are often less powerful in terms of their heating power and often has a small sized bowl (meaning less can be produced at once).
Towards the high end, these cost around $100.
My recommendation for a machine in this price range is the one from Amazon below:
- COTTON CANDY MAKER: This circus-themed Nostalgia cotton candy maker is compatible with all Nostalgia cotton candy kits including our cotton candy flossing sugar and hard candy party kit. The compact design allows it to fit on any countertop
- EASY TO USE: You'll have fresh cotton candy in minutes with this mini cotton candy machine. Simply warm up the unit, add your flossing sugar or hard candy of choice, and use the provided cones to collect the delicious confection
- ACCESSORIES AND FEATURES: Comes with essential cotton candy machine supplies including two reusable cones, one sugar scoop, and one extractor head. The suction-cup feet provide extra stability and the unit easily disassembles for fast cleaning
- FAMILY FUN: Whether you're throwing a fun birthday party for your kids or enjoying a relaxed family weekend. Try using this pink cotton candy machine for fundraising events, baby showers, summertime celebrations, and more
- NOSTALGIA: From designs inspired by early 20th century America to the timeless appeal of our appliances, we offer unique, novel, and fun products for the family. We preserve the past, embrace the present, and look forward to the future
Machines that cost between $100-$400 can be considered mid-tier.
They are usually larger and come with a cart too.
These machines tend to be used for commercial purposes, especially for beginners or those looking to create cotton candy for one off events.
My recommendation for a machine at this price point is the one below from Amazon:
- Simple to Use: Turn on the motor and warm up for 2 minutes. Pour floss in sugar cap and you have cotton candy
- Safety is our Priority: Stainless Steel Pan locks down on the base to engage a safety switch , allowing your machine to turn on
- Create and Enjoy: Works continually and yields one cotton candy cone per 30 seconds.Base Diameter: 12 3/4 L inch
- Storage: Large size drawer with three grids for storage of cotton candy cones, floss and sugar
- ►Mobile: Cart is included and cannot be purchased separately
Premium, Professional Machines
These machines can cost upward of $1000, sometimes much more than this.
These are best for those looking to start a cotton candy business or become a premium retailer making a consistent, considerable quanitity.
These are the kind of machines used at the funfair, and are operated by professionals who need to be able to produce a lot, quickly.
Other Costs When Buying A Cotton Candy Machine
When making cotton candy, you’ll also need a sugar scoop, cones/sticks or bags.
Now some machines will come with these as standard, others may only provide you with a few whereas others a much longer supply.
Depending on where you get, and how much the machine costs, you may need to factor in delivery costs.
This may differ depending on where you live, how heavy/large the machine is and how far it is being shipped.
Other factors like minimum order spend and how quickly you want your machine can impact this cost too.
Shipping can be as little as $0 all the way through to $20.
What Equipment Do You Need To Make Cotton Candy
To make cotton candy you need the following pieces of equipment:
- Cotton Candy Machine
- Sugar scoop,
- Flossing sugar (or granulated sugar and food flavorings/colorings
If you do not have a machine, you will need these instead (or as well as)
- Parchment paper,
- Candy Thermometer
- Large mixing bowl
How Much Does It Cost To Produce Cotton Candy?
Once you have a cotton candy machine, the cost to produce cotton candy is quite minimal. You can expect to pay between $0.20-$0.50 per stick/cone.
That is assuming you have purchased a carton of typical flossing sugar (around $10 a piece with an average of 70 serving sizes), and cones and/or sticks that will normally work out to be around $0.1 a piece (sometimes more, sometimes less depending on how many you order).
From there you may also have additional expenses like bags, if you want to store them away too. These usually cost around $0.10 a piece too when ordered in bulk.
So there you have it.
Typically you are looking at a price as little as $35, all the way into the thousands.
Ultimately, what you should pay depends entirely on your circumstances.
Your budget, how often and how much cotton candy you want to produce should all be considered.
And while I have just provided averages here, there are a lot of options that fall within this range.
If you want to take a look at an extensive range, and read customer reviews, then I would recommend you head over to Amazon here and take a little look.
Hello, I’m Matthew, a candy expert and enthusiast with over a decade of experience in the candy industry. My passion for candy started at a very young age. Since then, I have worked in numerous, large candy stores, and have been fortunate enough to try out hundreds of brands of candies, different types and flavors. In addition to my work, I enjoy sharing my extensive knowledge with others, and decided to create Sugar Stand in order to do so. My mission is to make the world a sweeter place, one candy at a time.