You’ve embarked on the low carbohydrate, high-fat diet that is Keto. Naturally, a lot of chocolate falls by the wayside. A lot of foods, for that matter. But not all, as you’ll be pleased to hear. In fact, some brands of chocolate can still be enjoyed with this way of eating.
Before I walk through the top five recommendations, let me start by telling you that it’s not going to be your everyday chocolate brands you’ve become accustomed to.
We’ll get into why that it shortly along with how to find new bars to try that will still keep your firmly in ketosis.
But first, let’s explore the best Keto-friendly chocolates, shall we?
- 1 Best Chocolate For Keto
- 2 What Types Of Chocolate Are Best To Eat While On Keto?
- 3 What Chocolate You Should Not Eat On Keto
- 4 Finally
- 5 Related Questions
Best Chocolate For Keto
You can probably guess that a lot of these Keto-friendly chocolates are going to be quite niche.
But don’t worry! That doesn’t mean they’re not going to be delicious.
Who knows? You might even find your new favorite chocolate here.
So without further ado, let’s dig into today’s top 5 list.
Lily’s Dark Chocolate
It makes sense to start with a dark chocolate brand, as it is the best type of chocolate for the Keto diet overall. (We’ll find out why later.)
These delicious chocolates are sweetened by a compound called stevia and erythritol, which is a sugar alcohol.
It is this sugar alcohol that makes this chocolate so suitable for a Keto diet because it is so GI-friendly.
GI, by the way, is the rating system for carbohydrate content.
So erythritol contains fewer carbohydrates than other sugar alcohols used in the production of normal candies and chocolates.
With one of these bars, you’re looking at about 4 grams of net carbs intake, which is pretty good.
However, this does vary depending on the flavor. For the dark chocolate range, Lily’s has sea salt, coconut, and almond.
All of which are absolutely delicious.
- Contains twelve (12) 2.8-ounce LILY'S Sea Salt Extra Dark Chocolate Style No Sugar Added Sweets Bars in a bulk box
- Reach for a rich treat that meets your needs at the office and at home with a sea salt extra dark chocolate style bar
- Bulk, deeply dark 70 percent cacao bars made with stevia, gluten-free and free of added sugars
- Give the gift of a thoughtfully dark chocolate style bar that will be a hit at your next birthday, Mother's Day or graduation party
- Delight yourself and others with a taste of extra dark chocolate style treat that is made with stevia as a gift during Easter, Valentine's Day, Halloween and Christmas
Lily’s White Chocolate Style Chocolate Bar
Bam! Straight into the next chocolate bar and straight into another one by Lily’s.
You will have realized by now that Lily’s is specifically designed for keto diets.
For sure, they are one of the go-to brands when it comes to Keto.
This bar is also Keto-friendly, and it’s perhaps for those of you who love their white chocolate.
It is so sweet, so creamy, and so lacking those sugary carbs that spoil any attempt at a Keto diet.
At this point, it’s worth noting that Lily’s chocolate is all Fairtrade certified.
- Low carb, Keto friendly premium white chocolate style bars.
- Made with Stevia - Stevia is a zero calorie botanical sweetener. It is derived from the plant Stevia Rebaudiana. The stevia used in Lily's chocolate is a stevia extract. Our use of Stevia gives Lily's natural a richness and less sugar than typical chocolates.
- Use of Gluten-Free and Non-GMO Ingredients
- 4 Net Carbs per Serving
- 2.8 ounce, 6-Pack
ChocZero’s Keto Bark
ChocZero’s Keto Bark is often ranked as the best-seller in the Keto chocolate category on Amazon.
And for good reason!
It contains only 2-3g of net carbs per serving, and is:
- Artificial sweetener free.
- Dairy free,
Providing a nice crunch, you can buy it in two delicious flavors, almond and hazelnut.
This is absolutely worth a try, as many customer can attest.
- Our keto chocolate is packed with crunchy, healthy roasted almonds and made with our rich no sugar added milk chocolate! Each individually wrapped piece of bark is 1oz and contains 0g of added sugar, 2g protein, and 10g of fiber.
- Gluten free and soy free: we don't use wheat or soy in our chocolate. We took out the sugar as well as sugar alcohols and sweetened it with low glycemic monk fruit to still have a lightly sweetened.
- Keto Bark is low in sugar and made with natural ingredients. It's great for your healthy lifestyle and sugar-free diets. Eating less sugar is easy!
- Be sure to try our other keto snacks like our ketogenic white chocolate and vegan dark chocolate!
Lakanto Sugar-Free Chocolate Bar
A mouth-watering bar that is made with Lakanto’s very own zero-GI monk fruit sweetener.
So you can rest assured that this chocolate delight will keep your daily carb intake right down low whilst you get to satisfy that naughty sweet tooth of yours.
You’ll find that this bar tastes somewhere in between dark and milk chocolate.
Whatever you determine it to be, you’ll determine it to be delicious.
- Chocolatey Goodness: Indulge your love of chocolate with Lakanto’s Chocolate Bars. Enjoy this sweet, gourmet treat created by master chocolatiers. Use in your favorite recipes, ganache, hot chocolate, truffle, frosting recipes, and more.
- Contains 3g of Net Carbs and Fewer Calories: All-natural, zero-glycemic, and gluten-free. Fill your kitchen with a healthy alternative to sugar-filled candy.
- Lifestyle Friendly: Works with ketogenic, diabetic, candida, gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, vegan, and low-sugar diets.
- Quality Ingredients: Sweetened with our non-GMO Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener (erythritol and monk fruit extract), and contains decadent unsweetened chocolate, sea salt, and other quality ingredients.
- Lakanto's Mission Statement: At Lakanto, our mission is to Bring Chi to Life by inspiring people to reach their highest potential in health and wellness by creating products that are innovative, delicious, natural, and nutritious. Try some of our tasty products today!
Synchro KetoManna Chocolate Fudge
A soft, chewy fudge that combines coconut with dark chocolate, vanilla, and Himalayan salt to work wonders on your taste buds.
A truly gourmet chocolate snack that achieves all of the tests we have laid out today with flying colors.
Tastes so good it could be your new favorite and contains the right ingredients and compounds to keep that carb intake nicely down.
You might not go back to normal fudge after you’ve tried this.
- DESSERT-WORTHY DELICIOUSNESS - Rich chocolate fudge is so good it feels like cheating (we promise it’s not). Rich liquid chocolate when warm, an insanely delicious chocolate bar when cold (our favorite!)
- 12g MCTs PER SERVING - With 20g of healthy fat (including 12g of MCTs) and only 2g net carbs per serving, Ketomanna will help keep you stably in ketosis.
- KETO NUTRITION ON-THE-GO, PERFECTED - If you follow a keto diet, you know the challenge of finding healthy, ketosis-supporting snack foods on-the-go. Keep a few KetoManna packets in your bag and never get stuck without high-quality keto-optimized low-carb nutrition again.
- 100% PLANT BASED - To deliver the cleanest nutrition possible, we use 100% plant based ingredients and organic ingredients. We got you, vegans + paleo folks.
- SWEETENED WITH MONK FRUIT - By far our favorite non-sugar sweetener. Completely natural + plant-based, zero calories and a much more natural mouthfeel than stevia. Pairs perfectly with chocolate.
Lindt Excellence Bar, 90% Cocoa Supreme Dark Chocolate
Today’s final item on the top 5 list is by the well-known chocolatier, Lindt.
This is some seriously rich chocolate! At 90%, you don’t need much.
A smooth, gourmet chocolate bar that will keep you on track for your Keto diet.
- Twelve (12) 3.5 oz. Bar of Lindt EXCELLENCE 90% Cocoa Dark Chocolate Bar
- Well-balanced, robust cocoa notes and an exceptionally silky feel in a classic dark chocolate candy bar
- Perfect with after dinner drinks, as a gift or for baking chocolate
- Chocolate bars are pre-portioned into squares for balanced complexity
- Made with premium ingredients from world-renowned regions
What Types Of Chocolate Are Best To Eat While On Keto?
The types of chocolate that are best for eating on the Keto are those that are low in sugar and carbohydrates. Dark chocolate is the best for fulfilling these criteria.
That’s a very strict specification to abide by. But you knew that would be the case anyway.
After all, you’re on the keto diet for your own health benefits. Sacrifices will have to be made.
But why does the chocolate have to have low sugar and carbohydrate content? And what makes dark chocolate so special for the keto diet?
Let’s take a look at these different elements.
Low Sugar And Low Carbohydrate Content
As you know, the foundation of the keto diet is low carbohydrate intake.
So to ensure that you stay on track with this, you have to make sure you’re not eating foods with a high carb and sugar content.
Fats, on the other hand, get a pass.
This is because the diet is designed so that the body is forced to burn fats rather than carbohydrates. Hence why on Keto, we consume high fats and low carbs.
The metabolic state where your body burns fat as fuel rather than glucose/carbs is called Ketosis.
So when you’re picking out a chocolate bar, it’s important that you still stick to the requirements of the Keto diet.
This means that you pick a chocolate that is low in carbs and low in sugar (because sugar is a carbohydrate on its own).
So you want a bar that will give you lots of fat that your body can burn for energy in the process that is known as Ketosis.
Don’t give it lots of carbs and sugar because your body will burn that for energy instead, which is the opposite of Ketosis, which is the whole point of doing the Keto diet in the first place.
Perhaps not the most popular of the chocolate types, dark chocolate is actually very good for the Keto diet. Here’s why.
Dark chocolate is low in carbs! And as Keto is a low carb-based diet, a chocolate containing low amounts of carbs gets the green light!
Having read this, please do now go out there and stuff your face with dark chocolate.
There still is a limit to how much you can consume on the Keto diet.
28 grams of dark chocolate shouldn’t be exceeded daily.
At the same time, you should look for dark chocolate designed to fit in with Keto diets.
These will often be dark chocolate brands made with at least 70% cocoa.
The increased amount of cocoa means fewer ingredients with high carb contents are required in the making of the bar.
You should also look for ones with as little sugar in them as possible.
What Chocolate You Should Not Eat On Keto
You should not eat milk chocolates and white chocolates that are high in carbs.
I’ll be honest with you; this throws out most of the great milk and white chocolate brands of the world.
Sadly these chocolates are normally so full of carbohydrates that their GI score is off the charts.
This, therefore, means that eating them will spoil your keto diet, which is why you’re here, after all.
Now you will have seen from my list that there was the odd milk chocolate bar there. But that bar is different from your standard popular milk chocolate bars.
That bar is specifically designed to be healthier and low in carbs, which suits the Keto diet down to a tee!
So if you can find milk chocolate and white chocolate bars that are keto-friendly, then crack on.
You’ll need to look for those bars with low carb contents. These are usually rather niche ones, like the ones on my top 5 list.
Specifically, you’ll want to make sure that the GI score is very, very low.
If it is, then you can enjoy that milk or white chocolate bar without worrying about your Keto diet being ruined.
But what’s wrong with milk and white chocolate? And why does dark chocolate get a free pass? What’s it got that they haven’t?…Or what have they got that it hasn’t got? That would be the more appropriate question.
Milk chocolate and white chocolate (not designed for Keto, of course) contain milk solids, which are high in carbs, and high amounts of sugar, which don’t forget is a carbohydrate.
So these ingredients make these types of chocolate just too high in carb content to work well as part of your Keto diet.
The daily allowance for carbs is 5% of your daily diet. If you eat 2000 calories a day, then only 25 grams of that should be carbohydrates.
Seems low, right? Well, of course, it is. After all, the keto diet is based on a low carb intake for its partaker.
If you eat milk and white chocolate, then that 5% will quickly be met. And will be surpassed even quicker.
So it’s a no from me on the milk and white chocolate, I’m afraid.
There you have it. The Keto diet does not eliminate chocolate from your lifestyle. Well, at least some chocolate.
You will have to pick your chocolate snacks very carefully.
But that’s exciting after all. As you now get to explore a whole new world of keto-friendly chocolate.
Just make sure you keep those carb intake levels down.
Who knows? Maybe you’ll never go back to non-friendly Keto chocolate again!
What chocolate has the lowest amount of carbs?
Lily’s Sea Salt Dark Chocolate Bar and ChocZero’s Keto Bark are brands of chocolate that provide some of the lowest amount of carbs. A 5g serving of each chocolates provides 2.25g of net carbs and 2.16g of net carbs respectively.
Is Hershey’s Special dark chocolate keto friendly?
Hershey’s Special dark chocolate can be keto-friendly, but only if you consume a very small amount (1 piece at most). 1 piece contains 4.75g of carbs, so you can quickly overconsume your carb allowance eating this chocolate. It is best avoided.
Is Lindt dark chocolate keto friendly?
Lindt dark chocolate can be keto-friendly, but only if you consume a very small amount. This is because Lindt dark chocolate still contains sugar, so still provides a decent amount of carbs, even in small servings. Lindt is best avoided (or higher concentrations sought out, with 90% being preferable. Chocolate brands designed for the keto diet are preferable and advised instead.
Hello, I’m Matthew, a candy expert and enthusiast with over a decade of experience in the candy industry. My passion for candy started at a very young age. Since then, I have worked in numerous, large candy stores, and have been fortunate enough to try out hundreds of brands of candies, different types and flavors. In addition to my work, I enjoy sharing my extensive knowledge with others, and decided to create Sugar Stand in order to do so. My mission is to make the world a sweeter place, one candy at a time.