When we’re ill, we need to make sure we’re eating properly to ensure our body is getting the right nutrients it needs to get well again. In the meantime, candy can help satisfy our craving for sugar, give us a little bit of extra energy, but perhaps most importantly, help to soothe that sore throat that comes about due to all that coughing. But not all candies are suitable nor will help. So let’s help you discover the most effective candy remedies.
- 1 Best Candy For Sore Throats
- 2 What Types Of Candy Are Best For A Sore Throat?
- 3 What Candy To Avoid When You Have A Sore Throat?
- 4 Other Food That Will Help With A Sore Throat
- 5 Finally
- 6 Related Questions
Best Candy For Sore Throats
Specific types of candies will aid with a sore throat. Most of these fit into a category of candy known as Lozenges.
We’ll talk a bit more about what Lozenges are later.
For now, here is my top 5 list of candies I recommend eating when you have a sore throat.
Next up is a lozenge that goes by the name of Sambucus.
Just like other great sore throat candies, these possess a dual effect.
Firstly, they contain an immune supporting blend that will help you fight off your illness. Secondly, their delicious berry flavor will help soothe that sore throat.
Pop them on your tongue and allow them to dissolve in your mouth. Then your poor sore throat will be feeling better in no time.
- Supports immune health with a triple-action blend of 12.5 mg Black elderberry extract, 5 mg Zinc, and 60 mg Vitamin C per lozenge.
- Contains our unique black elderberry extract, made with premium elderberries naturally rich in anthocyanins.
- Certified Organic by Quality Assurance International. Sweetened with organic tapioca syrup and organic cane sugar.
- Delicious berry flavored lozenges are convenient for daily use.
- Gluten-free and organic. No Artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
Time for a global Lozenge brand now. The Strepsils! They come in a variety of delicious flavors, including honey, lemon, menthol, cherry, strawberry, and more.
They also come in a variety of forms.
Specific Strepsils are designed to target the different illness symptoms, such as a blocked nose, for example.
But their trademark effect is alleviating sore throats and the pain that they bring. They are suitable for children, containing levels of vitamin C.
For me, it is the combination of great taste and great effect that makes Strepsils one of my favorite sore throat candies.
We already know that New Day Blend uses peppermint ingredients in their hard candies to great effect.
But did you know that most Peppermint candies are great for helping sore throats on their own?
Sucking on a peppermint candy can ease the pain in your sore throat. They can also aid with your healing as they contain antiviral and antibacterial properties.
It’s no wonder many bottles of cough drops contain peppermint. I bet you love this news if you’re a peppermint fan!
- THE MELT AWAY MINTS: These refreshing mints in red and white twists are perfect for sharing; Made with real peppermint oil, these smooth mints will reinvigorate your taste buds with their delicious taste
- CLASSIC MINT CANDY: Bob's Sweet Stripes are a smoother, softer way to enjoy a mint; Refresh your day with the deliciously sweet peppermint flavor in every piece, with only 60 calories per serving
- INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED: Sweet Stripes are individually packaged, making them a perfect treat to share with friends, family and coworkers; They're great for parties, your candy dish and anytime snacking
- MINT CANDY FAVORITE FOR EVERYONE: As a candy favorite for generations, Bob's produces a delicious assortment of candy canes, peppermint sticks and soft mints in wintergreen and peppermint flavors
- EXCEPTIONAL CANDY HERITAGE: Bob's has been producing exceptional candy since the 1920s when a man named Bob McCormack set out to make candy canes for his family and friends; The results were delicious
Perhaps the surprise entry on the list.
After all, Jolly Ranchers aren’t specifically designed for aiding sore throats like the other candies on this list.
However, it brings me great pleasure to inform you today of their effectiveness when it comes to alleviating sore throat pain.
Jolly Ranchers are hard candy, which, as we know, is good for sore throats.
They increase saliva production in order to protect the throat with natural defenses.
So stock up on your Jolly Ranchers for the winter because you won’t need to feel any guilt when it comes to overindulging, as it will all be for a good cause!
- Contains one (1) 5-pound bulk bag of JOLLY RANCHER Assorted Fruit Flavored Hard Candy
- Long-lasting hard candy you can take with you on the go, to work, on snack breaks and back home again at the end of the day
- Fruit flavored hard candy individually wrapped for convenience and exceptional freshness to the last piece
- Perfect for Pride month, graduation and wedding seasons, fundraising events, back to school preparation, 4th of July bashes, birthday parties and Mother and Father's Day celebrations
- Add some color to your Easter baskets and egg hunts this year with fruity Easter treats good enough to be straight from the Easter Bunny
Ricola Dual Action
This is a hard candy that will provide the ultimate relief; soothing your sore throat while simultaneously suppressing even the harshest of coughs.
Available in glacier mint, honey lemon and swiss cherry flavors, these drops are a blend of herbal botanicals that have been aiding those under the weather for over 80 years.
- Contains Ricola's unique blend of 10 herbs cultivated from Switzerland
- Relieves coughs and sore throats with just one drop
- Extra menthol liquid center for sore throat relief and cough relief
- Ricola Dual Action cough drops each contain 8.3 mg of menthol
- Gluten-free and vegetarian
As the name suggests, these hard sweets can make all the difference in your time of need!
They come in five different flavors: cherry, raspberry, watermelon, orange and pineapple, all of which will help soothe without exacerbating pain or making you inadvertently cough!
- Hard candies that are a hole lot of fun.
- Great for lunches, snacks, or to share with friends
- The classic American candy, originally designed to resemble a life preserver.
These hard caramels are another perfect candy for you.
There sufficiently hard to ensure you suck and their creaminess will help that inflamed throat of yours in next to no time.
- One 12 oz. bag of Werther's Original Hard Caramels.
- Melt smoothly in your mouth buttery sweet caramel candy.
- Individually wrapped caramels perfect for sharing...or not.
- Made with real butter and fresh cream, for a smooth taste that is one of a kind.
- Werther's Originals are available in a range of flavors and in hard, soft, and chewy varieties as well as sugar-free and caramel popcorn.
What Types Of Candy Are Best For A Sore Throat?
The best types of candy for a sore throat fall into the Lozenge category, but hard (boiled) candies are good as well.
Having seen my top 5 sore throat candy list, you will have spotted that many of those listed are specifically designed to aid sore throats.
Lozenges can be bought from your local grocery store or across the counter at a pharmacist.
It is important to mention at this point that lozenges should be given to children with caution as they are a potential choking hazard.
The menthol that Lozenges contain aids by numbing the tissues in your throat.
The result is that your sore throat is afforded some temporary relief.
Hard, boiled candies are good because they increase the amount of salvia you are producing. They, therefore, help lubricate your throat. This can also assist in soothing your throat.
But they won’t soothe your sore throat for as long as Lozenges.
So in effect, you would need to keep eating more and more hard, boiled candies to keep your throat lubricated. Sounds fun, but trust me, you don’t want to overindulge.
At the end of the day, we don’t want to sacrifice getting tooth decay just so we can be rid of our sore throat.
People assume that candy isn’t helpful for sore throats because it is stereotypically an unhealthy snack.
The reality is that candy is, in fact, good for sore throats.
This is because they contain high amounts of sugar.
Sugar is a form of glucose. Glucose coats your throat’s tissues with a film to soothe it and relieves pain and inflammation.
As I said earlier, we don’t want to eat too much candy because we increase the risk of tooth decay.
However, there is another problem with using too much candy to relieve our sore throats.
Why do we have a sore throat? Maybe because you’ve been shouting too much, but it’s mainly because you’re ill.
Perhaps you’ve got an infection.
Too much sugar can actually prevent your immune system from healing your body from this infection. So it’s best to go easy here and perhaps stick to the candies specifically designed to aid sore throats, like the lozenges.
What Candy To Avoid When You Have A Sore Throat?
When you have a sore throat, you should avoid candies that are acidic and crunchy and also those that contain nuts. This is because they can end up exacerbating your sore throat and hindering its recovery.
Let’s talk about nuts, shall we? Nutty candies are some of the most popular in the world. You’ll often find at least one nutty candy on any of my top 5 lists.
Unfortunately, the nutty candies are a no-go when it comes to sore throats.
‘But why?’ I hear you ask me with those sad, puppy eyes. Well, it’s time you knew this harsh reality.
Nuts can have sharp edges. When you have a sore throat, nutty candies with these sharp edges can inflict more pain on you.
Crunchy foods can also inflict the same pain and discomfort on your sore throat.
Acidic candies are also a problem as they can create tenderness and more pain around the area of your throat that is sore.
Acidic candies can also lead to acid reflux which will further aggravate your sore throat.
Other candies do get the all-clear. However, as I’ve already mentioned, too much sugar can be bad for your teeth but also for your immune system when it is trying to get you back fit and fighting.
Other Food That Will Help With A Sore Throat
Other great foods to consume with a sore throat are soft in texture and easy to swallow or have medicinal properties.
The range of other foods and liquids, by the way, that can help with a sore throat is quite diverse.
So let’s explore them!
Let’s start with several drinks to kick things off.
Remember earlier when I said that peppermint candies were great for a sore throat? Well, rather unsurprisingly, peppermint tea is also good for your sore throat for the same reasons.
Other warm drinks are very helpful, such as broths and teas. They’re easy on your throat when swallowed and also soothing.
The next drink to talk about is water. Sorry to disappoint you, but staying hydrated is crucial to alleviating your sore throat.
Drinking water thins the mucus secretions in your throat whilst also keeping it moist. This will help get your throat back into its normal, comfortable, and painless state.
Now when it comes to food, you should try to stick to soft foods. We already know what crunchy and sharp nuts can do!
Yogurt, Jell-O, and Oatmeal are good places to start.
But chewing gum, believe it or not, is excellent too! By chewing gum, you produce more saliva in your mouth.
This clears your mouth of any build-ups of acidity, which in turn will aid your sore throat.
Honey has been used for hundreds of years for medicinal purposes. So it’s no surprise that it too can help a sore throat. Its properties make it effective in fighting infections, whether they be bacterial or viral.
Mashed potato is excellent as it’s soft. It also brings with its sources of vitamin C, magnesium, and antioxidants, all of which help overcome a sore throat.
Let’s finish today with ice cream. No, I don’t mean go and get a big bowl of the stuff. I mean, listen to how helpful it can be in fighting a sore throat. The coldness of ice cream is very soothing for a sore throat and can even reduce inflammation. Plus, it’s delicious, so crack on!
Now you know exactly what candy you’ll need to save the day when you’ve got a sore throat.
Lozenges lead the way, but the more general candies can chip in as well.
And there are plenty of soft foods waiting to join in too!
Are Jolly Ranchers good for sore throat?
Jolly Ranchers are great for a sore throat because they can be sucked and are unlikely to cause irritation or exacerbate soreness. They can be sucked to relieve pain.
Does Hard Candy help sore throat?
Hard candy can help a sore throat, so long as there are no ingredients that can cause irritation, such as particular herbals or strong flavorings.
- Can Sour Candy Cause Sore Throat?
- Best Candy For Bad Breath • 5 You Need To Try! •
- Best Candy For Acid Reflux • The 5 You Can Still Enjoy! •
- Best Candy for Dry Mouth • The 5 That Will Help •
Hello, I’m Matthew, a candy expert and enthusiast with over a decade of experience in the candy industry. My passion for candy started at a very young age. Since then, I have worked in numerous, large candy stores, and have been fortunate enough to try out hundreds of brands of candies, different types and flavors. In addition to my work, I enjoy sharing my extensive knowledge with others, and decided to create Sugar Stand in order to do so. My mission is to make the world a sweeter place, one candy at a time.